Monday 17 September 2012

Pre-trip Planning


Introduction
I am a 22 year old Australian and tomorrow I'm flying to Rio de Janeiro from where I will embark on an adventure finishing in Los Angeles 180 days later. I hope to visit around 12 countries resulting in an average of 15 days per country. Some may argue that this is not enough time however I would rather visit more countries for a shorter period of time than fewer countries for longer. This post is designed to give a general overview of the route I plan to take (well as far as Columbia anyway), what I'm going to take and anything else that I thought might be of interest. I hope to contribute to this blog every few days, feel free to comment or message me along the way...

Basic Route Overview

 
Places I need to be
La Paz - 27 October (Meeting my dad for a few days before we do the Inca Trail together
Bogota - 05 December (Meeting a friend who I will travel with for the next 10 weeks
Miami - 19 February (Meeting a friend who I will spend 2 weeks with in the USA)
 
 
General Thoughts & Comments
I have told numerous people that I will be travelling through South America by myself to which the reply was along the lines of "Oh you're brave" or "Aren't you scared?". To be honest I am aware that it may be a dangerous place at times, but so is every other place that I could have chosen to visit. Travelling solo obviously has its downfalls such as no one being there to watch your bag or no one to be able to talk to all the time, but on the other hand it promotes independence and hopefully will provide me with greater opportunities to meet new people. On that note, I plan to stay in hostel dorm rooms throughout my trip as I figure this will be the easiest way to meet fellow travellers. I have learnt some Spanish over the past 5 months and hope to pick more up along the way...we'll see how that goes.
 
 
Included below is a list of everything I will be taking with me, which may be useful for some however I imagine for most people now would be a good time to stop reading!
 
Backpack & Accessories
Kathmandu 38L Litehaul v2 Backpack
Kathmandu Backpack Rain Cover (Medium)
Kathmandu Thermal Sleeping Liner
Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry DayPack
Kathmandu Digital Alarm Clock
Solar Panel Hand Torch
Microfibre Towel
 

 
 
Clothes
Woollen Jumper x 1
Long Sleeve Collared Shirt x 1
T-Shirts x 3
Woollen Undershirt x 1
Shorts x 1
Boardies x 1
Underwear x 5
Socks x 2
Vans Canvas Shoes x 1
Thongs x 1
 
 
Toiletries
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Dental Floss
Deodorant
Cologne
Lipbalm
Sunscreen
Soap
 
Electronics
Ipod
Iphone
Razor
Adaptor Plug
Memory Cards (2 x 8GB, 2 x 2GB)
Panasonic TZ30 Camera
Olympus Tough Range 8100 Camera
 
Medication 
 
Name Problem
Norfloxacin Diarrhoea
Soframycin Eye/ear
Avomine Hayfever/ nausea/ travel sickness
Paracetemol General
Gastro-Stop Diarrhoea
Simplotan Guardia
Prochlorperazine Nausea
Roxithromycin Chest, sinus, skin infection
Sinus Pain Tablets Sinus pain/ nasal congestion
Doxycycline Malaria
Amoxycillin General Antibiotic
 
First Aid
 
Kathmandu 1 Person First Aid Kit including:
3 x sterile gauze swab-2pcs (7.6cm x 7.6cm).
3 x alcohol wipes.
25 x plastic adhesive bandage (assorted sizes).
1 x roll of adhesive strapping (2.5m long). 2 x fist aid dressing (pad: 10cm x 10cm, bandage: 2.7m long).
1 x premium wound dressing (BCP No.14).
1 x conforming bandage (50mm x 1.5m).
1 x conforming bandage (75mm x 1.5m).
1 x triangular bandage.
5 x safety pins.
1 x scissors.
1 x spinter forceps.
1 x pencil.
1 x notepad.
3 x zip top plastic bag.
 
Until next time...
 
Tom
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Tom, to my mind you made a great job preparing your trip and I'm sure you are now enjoy it. I think the trip planning is a very important part of the trip and I like to plan all details prior to the trips beginning .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy - My girlfriend and I are planning a similar sort of trip, except around South-East Asia for 4-5 months. Planning on packing light, carry on luggage only (noticed that I actually bought the same pack as you by coincidence!) How did you go with the small pack? Is there anything you wished you packed, or anything you could have left at home. Any advice would be well appreciated mate! I pretty much want to pack what you have listed here...except we will be taking an iPad for Internet for research.

    Cheers! Tim. (Australia, 27)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim, hopefully this reaches you before you have headed off on your travels. The pack worked well, I travelled through SE Asia for a few months a couple of years ago and the bag I took was far too big, hence why I changed for this trip. With regards to packing, I would probably not have taken as much first aid/ medication; everything you need is relatively easy to find. SE Asia is similar to South America in that in almost any place you can get your clothes washed for a couple of dollars. On that note clothes are so cheap over there that I would probably take fewer items than I did, all of your winter clothing can be purchased for about half the price, particularly in Vietnam.
      Out of all the items I took, the Sea to Summit daypack was probably the most useful and I would definitely recommend that you consider buying one.
      Ipad is a great idea for SE Asia; high speed wifi is available pretty much everywhere. If you have any other queries or want some recommendations on where to go in SE Asia I would be happy to help...

      Delete
    2. Cheers Tom, that all sounds pretty good. I've been reading up a bit on other people's experiences and we decided to go with packing light and carry-on luggage only. Also going to go with some Teva style sandals (even though pretty touristy and dorky!), will be good for hiking/trekking and no doubt it will be wet under foot, the water can drain straight out of them. We bought a small day pack from Kathmandu that looks pretty similar to your day pack - it folds up inside itself to about the size of a tennis ball. Will probably take a small first aid kit to be on the safe side, not sure where we will end up, could be pretty remote in places. Basically we aren't planning anything - have a 1-way ticket booked for Bangkok in June and we'll make it up as we go....I guess a general plan is Thailand > Cambodia > Vietnam > Laos > China > India > Philippines > Borneo....but it's a loose plan and will most likely change, we'll play it by ear. Appreciate all the info man, very helpful!

      Delete
    3. Hi Tom,

      I hope your trip is going/went well! How did the Litehaul Pack v2 work out for you? My finger is hovering over the buy button...

      Mat

      Delete